Sunday, February 1, 2009

Product Sampling #2: Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce

In 1982, Country Bob Edson perfected his signature sauce, and the result can now be found in Wal-Marts and other fine retail establishments all over the country. In other words, it's a steak/barbecue sauce that real working people will use and appreciate. I was recently given the opportunity to taste a bottle or two. Dominant flavors include tomato paste, anchovies, (very like Worcestershire), molasses, and a hint of corn. Country Bob's suggested pairings include steak, hamburgers, barbecue, fish (really?), chicken, and french fries. (Personally, I'm so glad that people have been thinking outside of the box when it comes to topping the skinny spuds; when I was but a lad, the only acceptable toppings were salt and ketchup. Period.)

During my own tasting, I tried Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce with a simple crock-pot preparation of roast beef, potatoes, onions and carrots. Forgive me, but I just can't see it topping anything but grilled, barbecued, or slow-cooked meats, although you are certainly welcome to try. After all, everyone's taste is different, and often stepping outside of your comfort zone will yield surprising results. Country Bob's indeed made a hearty topping for my meal, a bit overpowering at times, but on the whole quite nice. Most pleasing, it worked best when I enjoyed bites of my repast with a simple Australian shiraz. The sauce's dominance retreated graciously into the background, and the resulting subtle notes breathed new beefiness and richness into the overall dish. Website is www.countrybobs.com, where you will learn about the company's products and their Christian values to boot. Pick up a bottle soon, and don't forget:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MEDIOCRE FOOD!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm kind of a Ranch dressing and French fry girl myself.

The name sounds good!

Food Czar said...

It's a good, simple sauce, Margie. If you visit their website at www.countrybobs.com, you can sign up to receive a free bottle to try for yourself!