Monday, January 12, 2009

Wine Corner Review #43: Waterstone Winemaker's Select Claret

As a wine enthusiast, I like to soak up as much information about the vino as possible, where it was made, where the vineyard is located, the history of the winery and the winemakers, etc. That way, if I really like the wine, I can try other products from the same vineyard, and it's very exciting to discover a label that I've never tried before. Also, I really like the possibility of visiting the vineyard itself, as most vineyards are every bit as lovely as the wines they produce. So, you can imagine my frustration when I opened up my trusty Google in search of Waterstone vineyards. Oh, yes, there is a website with plenty of information, www.waterstonewines.com , but there is no vineyard, merely a tasting room in downtown Napa, CA. You see, the vintners at Waterstone source their grapes, which means they let other vineyards do the growing and processing, so there is no Waterstone vineyard per se to visit. While this fact may be disappointing, let me assure you that the wine itself is worth trying, particularly the Waterstone Winemaker's Select Claret.

The robe of the Waterstone Winemaker's Select Claret is Pepsi Cola blended with Delaware Punch, two sodas you may well remember from your youth. The nose is mocha spice, with touches of cloves. Lots of dark chocolate and more spice and cloves on the palate, finishing with muted pepper. Since this claret is 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot (with perhaps some syrah?), it can be safely paired with all things beef, but is bold and delightful enough to stand on its own. Once again, the website is http://www.waterstonewines.com/, but strangely enough, I found no mention of the claret among their list of wines. In any case, soak up a bottle soon, and remember:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR MEDIOCRE FOOD!!!

No comments: